Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Blessing

Our family has had a tradition for many years where we make a handmade gift to open on Christmas Eve. Sometimes the gifts are very thoughtful, sometimes they are silly, sometimes people cheat, and give a store-bought gift, but that is another post.
This year Bub had G's name for Christmas Eve. Bub had really been struggling with what to make. Bub loves to bake, but did his diabetic brother really need a whole batch of cookies? Driving to town one day, I suggested that I had a cute picture of G and his grandma reading on the couch. Bub could print it up and put it in a frame and then G would have his own picture of Grandma to remember her.
Last night we each opened our Christmas Eve present. The Dad got a tin of fancy fudge from our nephew. Bub and I got darling blankets from my sister and her step-daughter, and I gave Fred a skirt pattern and material (I would have made it, but she's never asleep, so I couldn't sneak). Then G opened his present. He was very quiet, but said he liked it.
After the kids changed into their pajamas, I noticed G sitting by himself, clutching the picture and sobbing. He misses his grandma so much. We had a good talk about her and how much she loved him and agreed to put the picture on the back of a shelf until he was ready to see it every day.
Today, my dad and his new wife came for Christmas dinner. G showed the picture to his grandpa and started crying again. Then came the best part of my day.
Cheryl, the new wife, who could have just ignored the whole mess, put her arms around my broken-hearted little boy and told him how special his grandma was. She told him that his grandma loved him and was watching over him from heaven. She told him that he was lucky to have such a good lady as his grandma. Bless you, Cheryl, you saved the day.

2 comments:

  1. Thank for sharing this. Kudos to Cheryl for doing the right thing and lifting a young boy's spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Box of Kleenex, please! Great post.
    LaurieBee

    ReplyDelete